Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fitness

Anyone who knows anything about exercise, knows that it is good for you.  I know that I am feeling better now that I am being more attentive to exercise but I now have ways to encourage myself, ways that allow me to have direct feedback that this is making a difference.  This may seem silly and unnecessary to those who have had good exercise routines for years but for me these devices are adding incentives and encouragement.  One is the Nike app which tells you how far you have walked and the rate at which you are walking.  Instead of doing my old routine which I knew was a mile, I can now walk all of over the neighborhood or any where else for that matter and I knew when I have completed my two miles and how best I did them.  I find this little gadget to be very helpful.  The other is a device called emWave made by an organization called Heart Math. This is a device that you install on your computer; there is an attachment that gets placed on your ear.  It reads not only your heart rate but your level of what they call coherence.  The idea is to try to be in high coherence.  A lot of executives use it and my doctor recommended it so that I could monitor my stress level.  It is way too complicated to explain here but it is a fun way to monitor whether or not the things you are doing to reduce stress, such as exercise, are actually working. For example, I have discovered that meditation at home is not as effective as yoga.  I am trying to adapt my practices so that I can gain the most benefit both spiritually and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment